Los Angeles News
Southland churches celebrate Easter Sunday
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Churches across Southern California celebrated Easter Sunday at varying locations including Angel Stadium and the Hollywood Bowl.
Thousands gathered to celebrate Easter at the Hollywood Bowl Sunday morning but it was long after the sun rose over the legendary amphitheatre.
The traditional sunrise service held at the Bowl for decades was canceled due to a shortage of donations. Bel Air Presbyterian church's Easter at the Bowl Celebration normally follows the sunrise service but Sunday, it was the only service.
Bel Air Presbyterian Church has reached out to several congregations to make Sunday's service a nondenominational gathering.
"It's a beautiful venue. There's not a bad seat in the house and it sounds great. You're outside with the creator and his creations. It's a great way to celebrate," said Mark Brewer, the senior pastor of Bel Air Presbyterian Church.
At the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown Los Angeles, Cardinal Roger Mahoney celebrate mass, delivering an Easter message to a cathedral paced with worshippers.
Angel Stadium was the setting for the Saddleback Church's Easter service. The church's pastor, Rick Warren, delivered his sermon from the field. As part of the church's celebration of its 30th anniversary, the Jonas Brothers gave a special musical performance.
A crowd of approximately 30,000 attended the celebration of the Christian holiday.
hollywood bowl, downtown, holiday, los angeles news
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour