Los Angeles News
Southland churches celebrate Easter Sunday
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Churches across Southern California celebrated Easter Sunday at varying locations including Angel Stadium and the Hollywood Bowl.
Thousands gathered to celebrate Easter at the Hollywood Bowl Sunday morning but it was long after the sun rose over the legendary amphitheatre.
The traditional sunrise service held at the Bowl for decades was canceled due to a shortage of donations. Bel Air Presbyterian church's Easter at the Bowl Celebration normally follows the sunrise service but Sunday, it was the only service.
Bel Air Presbyterian Church has reached out to several congregations to make Sunday's service a nondenominational gathering.
"It's a beautiful venue. There's not a bad seat in the house and it sounds great. You're outside with the creator and his creations. It's a great way to celebrate," said Mark Brewer, the senior pastor of Bel Air Presbyterian Church.
At the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown Los Angeles, Cardinal Roger Mahoney celebrate mass, delivering an Easter message to a cathedral paced with worshippers.
Angel Stadium was the setting for the Saddleback Church's Easter service. The church's pastor, Rick Warren, delivered his sermon from the field. As part of the church's celebration of its 30th anniversary, the Jonas Brothers gave a special musical performance.
A crowd of approximately 30,000 attended the celebration of the Christian holiday.
hollywood bowl, downtown, holiday, los angeles news
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut