Los Angeles News
L.B. police kill pit bull after man attacked
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A dog was shot and killed by police in Long Beach after it reportedly attacked a man walking his dog on Tuesday.
Authorities said two dogs got into a fight in the Belmont Shore area at about 11 p.m. Witnesses said a pit bull went after a small dog, and when its owner tried to save it, the pit bull turned on him.
When police arrived, they shot at the dog but missed, then a few blocks later, officers fatally shot the animal.
"I heard guys arguing, and I hear a 'Stop, stop,' and didn't know what was going on, and then next thing, another guy running, and I hear the separating of the dogs, and then later on, the cops shoot it," said witness Christine of Long Beach.
According to witnesses, police had no choice but to shoot the dog.
"The dog went after the cop apparently," said an unidentified Long Beach resident.
A man was taken by ambulance to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Residents in the dog-friendly neighborhood said they've had trouble with the owner and the pit bull before and were afraid that one day it would turn violent.
"It's horrible, but if the dog bit someone, it's vicious, it should be shot," said Michael Ruben of Long Beach.
It is unclear whether the owner of the pit bull will face any charges.
The Long Beach Police Department is investigating the incident.
long beach, animal news, los angeles news
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate 39 min ago
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens into Andaman Sea
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says