Los Angeles News
Funeral held for 13-year-old killed on PCH
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Family and friends gathered in Simi Valley Wednesday to remember 13-year-old Emily Rose Shane, who was struck and killed by a car over the weekend while walking on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.
The young Malibu High School student was remembered fondly as hundreds gathered to pay their respects. Emily's parents and sister spoke at the service, describing a girl who loved life and who will be terribly missed.
"We had 13 years of her beautiful soul on his earth, and I had the honor of being her mother. I love you Emily and always will," said Ellen Shane, Emily's mother.
"We have to celebrate today because the last thing Emily would want would be a room full of people crying about her," said Michael Shane, Emily's father. "We have to dance, we have to sing, we have to love and most of all we have to live because unfortunately she won't be able to anymore."
Following the memorial service, Emily was laid to rest at Mount Sinai Memorial Park in Simi Valley.
Emily's life was tragically cut short Saturday when a car, driven by 26-year-old Sina Khankhanian, struck her as she walked home along the right shoulder of the coastal route.
Authorities say a preliminary investigation indicated Khankhanian may have deliberately crashed his 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer, but didn't intend to hit Emily.
Witnesses said Khankhanian's driving was aggressive and erratic along Topanga Canyon Boulevard and PCH. Sheriff's deputies said he had not been drinking, but he did admit to taking prescription drugs.
Khankhanian pleaded not guilty Tuesday in connection with the 13-year-old's death. He is due back at the Airport Branch Courthouse in Los Angeles on May 6.
Authorities were asking anyone with information about what led to the crash to call the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department at (323) 890-5500.
malibu/pacific palisades, arrest, murder, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts