Los Angeles News
2 dead, 3 critical in Baldwin Hills crash
BALDWIN HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Two people died and three others were critically injured in a single-vehicle rollover accident on La Cienega Boulevard in Baldwin Hills.
"I saw right away two people laying down on the ground. I came out of my truck and run to the accident. They were already dead, and they didn't move," said witness Martin Carrillo.
The deadly accident happened shortly after 6:30 p.m. Sunday. Investigators say that the beige Chevy Blazer with five people inside, three men and two women, was traveling at a high rate of speed when the driver exited northbound La Cienega Boulevard at Kenneth Hahn State Park and lost control.
"They most likely hit this median at the curb, launched airborne and flipped right through the intersection right behind me and continued northbound, flipping multiple times, ejecting everybody and ending up at the bottom of the onramp," described LAPD Lt. Wal Teague, who estimated that the vehicle tumbled approximately 300 feet before it came to a halt.
Paramedics rushed to the scene to help the injured. One man and one woman were pronounced dead at the scene, and the three others were taken to the UCLA Medical Center in critical condition.
At this point, investigators don't know exactly what caused the accident but say it's clear that speed was a factor.
"Witnesses put it at around 75 miles per hour, which is pretty fast," said Teague.
All the victims are believed to be in their early 20s. According to devastated friends who gathered at the scene, they were all family members. Making the situation even more tragic, they said that the woman who died just buried her brother two weeks ago.
Northbound La Cienega between Stocker Street and Rodeo Road was closed for hours while police investigated the incident.
baldwin hills, accident, los angeles news
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants