Los Angeles News
Officials dispel hospital beauty salon claims
SYLMAR, Calif. (KABC) -- Officials from both the health department and the hospital will announce findings after investigation of the so-called hospital beauty salon at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center.
"We're talking about a bottle of polish, a nail file and a pair of tweezers," said Carol Meyer, chief of health services. "We do not condone this kind of activity & but our investigation has made it very clear that this kind of activity at the level of a beauty salon is not going on in this facility.
The complaints were serious and shocking. The allegations were that there was a beauty salon being at the hospital inside an intensive care unit where babies were being treated.
The anonymous complaints were filed with the joint commission that accredits the hospital. The reports include allegations that nurses and doctors got manicures and their eyebrows waxed with the salon tools often resting on medical devices.
Once the county received the complaints, it launched an investigation. County health officials said they've interviewed about 80 staff members and feel that it was not nearly as serious as the rumors made it seem.
According to investigators, there was some truth to the rumors. Hospital staff was providing nail service and even tweezing eyebrows on the premises. But it wasn't in an intensive care unit, and for the most part, it did not take place during working hours.
"The majority of these activities occurred off-duty or on breaks, and it occurred with a small number of employees," Meyer said.
The employees involved could be facing disciplinary action.
Hospital officials said in their investigation, they did not find any case where patient care was compromised.
medical emergency, legal, ucla, los angeles news, john gregory
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 50 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia plane search widens into Andaman Sea 6 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini
- Grand Central Market has comfort food galore
33 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
24 min ago