Los Angeles News
Officials dispel hospital beauty salon claims
SYLMAR, Calif. (KABC) -- Officials from both the health department and the hospital will announce findings after investigation of the so-called hospital beauty salon at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center.
"We're talking about a bottle of polish, a nail file and a pair of tweezers," said Carol Meyer, chief of health services. "We do not condone this kind of activity & but our investigation has made it very clear that this kind of activity at the level of a beauty salon is not going on in this facility.
The complaints were serious and shocking. The allegations were that there was a beauty salon being at the hospital inside an intensive care unit where babies were being treated.
The anonymous complaints were filed with the joint commission that accredits the hospital. The reports include allegations that nurses and doctors got manicures and their eyebrows waxed with the salon tools often resting on medical devices.
Once the county received the complaints, it launched an investigation. County health officials said they've interviewed about 80 staff members and feel that it was not nearly as serious as the rumors made it seem.
According to investigators, there was some truth to the rumors. Hospital staff was providing nail service and even tweezing eyebrows on the premises. But it wasn't in an intensive care unit, and for the most part, it did not take place during working hours.
"The majority of these activities occurred off-duty or on breaks, and it occurred with a small number of employees," Meyer said.
The employees involved could be facing disciplinary action.
Hospital officials said in their investigation, they did not find any case where patient care was compromised.
medical emergency, legal, ucla, los angeles news, john gregory
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way 8 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 6 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 4 min ago
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
20 min ago