Los Angeles News
Refuge from Skid Row running out of money
SYLMAR, Calif. (KABC) -- Hope Gardens Family Center is dedicated to getting women and children off the streets of Skid Row. The center is in danger of closing. The center says if it doesn't get money fast, dozens of people in need will be forced to move out.
It's a study in contrasts: From the squalor of Skid Row, to a peaceful setting in Sylmar. Two vastly different environments, especially when it comes to raising children.
"Drug sales, people just doing drugs right there on the street in front of the children," said Brandi Eden, a resident of Hope Gardens.
Eden and her daughter lived on Skid Row for four months. But for the past nine months, they've been living at Hope Gardens Family Center.
"It's given me hope," said Eden. "I know that I can make it and I can move on, and I have all the support here."
"To me, this is like a resort," said Vanessa Ramirez, another resident. "It's beautiful here. Children love it here. It's clean here."
A total of 34 single mothers and 70 children live in the former retirement community in the foothills of Sylmar. The Union Rescue Mission owns and operates the facility that opened its doors in 2007.
"When the kids come out here, they can play and run and ride their bikes," said Andy Bales, chief executive officer of the Union Rescue Mission.
Bales says Hope Gardens needs help.
"We just wanted to sound the alarm and say, 'Please help us. We need help to keep women and children safe in L.A.'"
Officials with the Union Rescue Mission say they have seen a 40-percent rise in people who need the mission's help, but they've seen a 20-percent drop in donations. Bales says that kind of math just doesn't add up.
"We need $2.8 million, and I can say we've raised $468,000," said Bales.
If the Union Rescue Mission is not able raise the $4 million it needs to keep Hope Gardens open, it might be forced to send some of the families back to the mission on Skid Row.
downtown, san fernando valley, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 3 min ago
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease 54 min ago
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe? 49 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 10 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
44 min ago