Los Angeles News
Nearly 70 people fight on Venice Boardwalk
VENICE, Calif. (KABC) -- There were extra police patrols Monday after a gang brawl on the Venice Beach Boardwalk on Sunday night.
Authorities said nearly 70 people were involved in the fight that broke out at about 8 p.m. near 17th and Windward avenues.
It took police officers on bicycles, motorcycles and helicopters to break things up.
"Overall safety, we're fine. We feel safe," said Los Angeles resident Shannon Butler.
"Just a bunch of people, it just got a little out of hand. It's no big deal. I don't think there's any problem on the beach. I think there's a little tension going on between different organizations," said Los Angeles resident David Miller.
The Memorial Day weather was perfect for the beach, with many locals out bike riding, playing soccer, swimming or barbequing.
Police say it was a typical busy holiday and there will be big police presence Monday night to discourage any more problems.
"They'll see us coming down. They'll see the resources and they'll decide not to get into the trouble they got into yesterday," said Merlo.
Nobody was seriously hurt during the fight. The cause of the fight is unknown.
Your feedback is important to us! Please complete a brief survey so we may continue to improve abc7.com
fight, venice beach, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 44 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 18 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 31 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes 25 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'