Los Angeles News
Red Cross workers strike; blood drives canceled
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Some Red Cross workers in Southern California are joining a nationwide strike involving five U.S. cities over what they call unfair labor practices. Union officials say the job action is forcing the cancellation of blood drives.
Workers began the three-day strike on Wednesday. Close to 1,000 workers in Farmington, Connecticut, Huntington, West Virginia, Buffalo, New York, Toledo, Ohio and Pomona joined the job action.
Workers say they are unhappy because the Red Cross unilaterally cut their benefits.
The Red Cross says the strike forced the cancellation of some blood drives in Connecticut and other areas. There say there are adequate blood supplies for patients.
The unions and cites where the strikes were under way:
- AFSCME Local 3145, Hartford and Farmington, Conn.
- Communications Workers of America (CWA) Local 1122, Buffalo, N.Y.
- Office and Professional Employees (OPEIU) Local 459 and Teamsters Local 580, Lansing and Detroit, Mich.
- United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 75, Toledo, Ohio
- United Steelworkers (USW) Local 254, Macon, Ga.
- SEIU Local 1199, Huntington, W.Va., and SEIU Local 721, Los Angeles
Your feedback is important to us! Please complete a brief survey so we may continue to improve abc7.com
strike, medical emergency, los angeles news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 32 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 8 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 57 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 53 min ago
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup 17 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions 16 min ago
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand 36 min ago
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons