Los Angeles News
7-year-old boy saves babysitter's life
VALENCIA, Calif. (KABC) -- Officials honored a 7-year-old boy from Valencia on Friday for his heroic efforts after he saved his babysitter's life.
Fellow students at Diego Pimentel's school, Tesoro del Valle Elementary School, gathered in the auditorium to participate in the special tribute to him. Pimentel's bravery and quick thinking in a medical emergency helped save a life.
While his parents were out having dinner early last month, the young boy's babysitter suffered a "grand mal" seizure, which causes a loss of consciousness and violent muscle contractions.
Pimentel could have panicked, but didn't. Instead, he was brave enough to dial 911 and get help.
"I wasn't too afraid," said Diego. "I got the phone and was walking around while waiting for somebody to answer. They said, '911.'"
Lance Kremer of L.A. County Fire said "grand mal" is a full blown seizure.
"You will have some tightening and full muscle contractions throughout the whole body," said Kremer. "If you are not used to it, it can be a scary sight. I could not imagine a 7-year-old watching that, and still remain calm enough to call 911."
The young hero's parents said they couldn't be prouder.
"We smiled and cried. You get that sense of pride that just takes over as parents," said David Pimentel, Diego's father.
"If I didn't call 911 and got scared then she would have probably died," said Diego. "I am happy that I called 911 and saved her life. She came over to my house a couple of days ago and got me a bumblebee card because I saved her life."
Your feedback is important to us! Please complete a brief survey so we may continue to improve abc7.com
hero, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa. 41 min ago
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case 37 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again 7 min ago
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Intersection gets safety upgrades after death
19 min ago