Los Angeles News
New veterans care facility opens in West L.A.
WEST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A new veterans home opened its doors in West Los Angeles on Monday, bringing hundreds of veterans, as well as local and state officials, together for the ceremonial grand opening.
The Veterans Home of California - West Los Angeles, located at Bringham and Gorham avenues, is one of three new California facilities to be opened for veterans care by the California Department of Veterans Affairs. The others are in Lancaster and Ventura.
Local officials joined Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in honoring those who have served in the military and helped celebrate the construction of a center that can house nearly 400 veterans.
"Their sacrifice is what gave me and millions and millions of immigrants the opportunity to come to this country and experience freedom," Schwarzenegger said.
The new veterans home just north of Wilshire Boulevard includes residential care for the elderly and a skilled nursing facility with an Alzheimer's disease and dementia care unit.
The CDVA says the new facility will provide veterans with a home-like environment and a sense of community.
"When they come back they should get that gold card and everything should be taken care of," Councilman Bill Rosendahl said. "No hassle, no bureaucracy, no games to play. Take care of our veterans."
Construction on the $253 million project began three years ago and was paid for in partnership with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
After today's ceremony, veterans had the chance to tour the new home and exchange stories with fellow war vets. They will be able to move in to the new long-term care facility this fall.
west los angeles, veterans, u.s. troops, arnold schwarzenegger, los angeles news, leslie miller
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter