Los Angeles News
Woman guns down pit bull to protect her dog
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police say a woman fatally shot one of two pit bulls that attacked her basset hound Saturday in South Los Angeles.
Officers were notified of the shooting at 835 W. Rosecrans Ave. at around 10:30 a.m. The woman said she and her dog were about to leave their apartment for a walk when the attack happened. She described how the two pit bulls suddenly appeared and lunged at the basset hound.
"She couldn't get the dogs off her dog. She went inside (her apartment) and got a gun," said LAPD Sgt. Philip Thompson. "She was defending her dogs."
The woman called police and was instructed to temporarily hand the gun over to arriving officers, which she did, police said. A large number of people surrounded the scene.
Thompsons said no charges will be filed, and the police did not have injury reports for the basset hound or second pit bull.
CNS contributed to this report.
animal news, shooting, los angeles news
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 14 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 9 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search 44 min ago
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 18 min ago
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India 50 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Elderly couple's dog saved by rescue group
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says
- Pet of the Week: 3-year-old Chow mix Trixie
11 min ago