Los Angeles News
Woman guns down pit bull to protect her dog
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police say a woman fatally shot one of two pit bulls that attacked her basset hound Saturday in South Los Angeles.
Officers were notified of the shooting at 835 W. Rosecrans Ave. at around 10:30 a.m. The woman said she and her dog were about to leave their apartment for a walk when the attack happened. She described how the two pit bulls suddenly appeared and lunged at the basset hound.
"She couldn't get the dogs off her dog. She went inside (her apartment) and got a gun," said LAPD Sgt. Philip Thompson. "She was defending her dogs."
The woman called police and was instructed to temporarily hand the gun over to arriving officers, which she did, police said. A large number of people surrounded the scene.
Thompsons said no charges will be filed, and the police did not have injury reports for the basset hound or second pit bull.
CNS contributed to this report.
animal news, shooting, los angeles news
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 19 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church 56 min ago
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 46 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis