Los Angeles News
1 killed, 1 injured in Northridge fiery crash
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. (KABC) -- One motorist was killed and another ended up in the hospital after a fiery three-vehicle crash in Northridge early Monday.
It happened about 7:30 a.m. near the intersection of Reseda Boulevard and Devonshire Street. According to investigators, a Mercedes Benz rear-ended an Infinity sedan.
Surveillance video from a car wash on the southeast corner of the intersection shows the Infinity moments after being rear ended. The car spun out of control and burst into flames, trapping the female driver inside.
"Regrettably, as a result of that, one person died inside the Infinity," said Los Angeles police Detective Bill Bustos. "It went out of control into the southeast corner and it caught on fire. There was another vehicle that's involved and that is the white Ford Focus that's also near the intersection."
Rescue crews had to use hydraulic equipment, or the Jaws of Life, to reach the victim in one of the cars. A pedestrian was hit by the debris.
People who live and work in the area say it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
Leo Edilyan was getting ready to open up his car wash when he saw what happened.
"I heard a crash, and I turned and looked, and saw the car flipped," Edilyan said. "It was skipping, the Mercedes, to the gas station. The other (car) was doing 360s and it caught on fire half way. That's when we ran to the car and tried to help the lady, but it didn't work out."
The car wash surveillance video also shows a person at the car wash using a hose to help extinguish the fire.
The intersection is known for frequently having collisions.
"It happens often," Edilyan said. "It happens, I would say, at least three, four times a week. Major ones, maybe once or twice a month. "
The identity of the woman who died has not been released.
The person behind the wheel of the Mercedes, which ended up on its roof at an Arco gas station, is hospitalized with moderate injuries.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
car crash, fire, lapd, only on abc7, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 57 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student 28 min ago
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis