Los Angeles News
Doctor allegedly funded model's murder
DEL AIRE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Thousand Oaks woman accused of murdering an aspiring model appeared in court for the first time since being charged with the killing. Prosecutors allege that it was a murder-for-hire scheme.
As 44-year-old Kelly Soo Park sat in the Del Aire courtroom Monday morning, she often shed tears, turning to face her family for support.
Park is charged with the murder of 21-year-old aspiring actress and model Juliana Redding of Arizona.
Redding's body was found on March 16, 2008, in her rented condominium on Centinela Avenue near Santa Monica Boulevard.
Police were called to her apartment when Redding's mother contacted authorities and informed them that she couldn't reach her daughter.
The connection between Park and Redding may be money. According to published reports, Park was paid $250,000 three weeks before Redding's murder and another $113,000 just days before Park's arrest on June 18.
The money allegedly came from Park's employer, a Marina del Rey doctor who was involved in a failed business deal with the victim's father.
The doctor's attorney said he is out of the country and can't be reached.
The prosecution requested that Park's bail be raised from $1 million to $5 million. The judge, however, decided to not allow Park to post bail at all after explaining that bail information is not supposed to be released to the public until a hearing takes place.
"You can't be allowed until a hearing is rendered, because I have to make a finding that if you do seek to bail out, that the source of the funds is a legitimate source of money," the judge explained in court.
Park's family and supporters had no comment as they left the courtroom.
Redding moved from Arizona to Santa Monica to pursue her dream of acting and modeling. She had a small movie role in 2005 and was photographed for Maxim, winning one of the magazine's "Hometown Hotties" contest.
Park's arraignment has been postponed until July 6. She faces 25 years to life in prison if convicted.
Santa Monica police said there may be other charges in the case.
santa monica, murder, arrest, los angeles news
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating 57 min ago
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage 18 min ago
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 6 min ago
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)