Los Angeles News
Suspects who killed girl on July 4 at large
PICO-UNION DISTRICT, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Shots ring out and a Fourth of July party turns deadly. A 14-year-old girl was killed, and police are searching for the killer.
Police think a battle between rival gang members led to the death of the teen. She was identified Monday as Daisy Garcia.
The shooting happened just after 10 p.m. along the 1300 block of Toberman Street in the Pico-Union district of Los Angeles.
She was shot to death while setting off fireworks across the street from her family's apartment.
As police ask for the public's help in their investigation, the killers remain at large. Police said they believe there were four to five male suspects involved in the shooting.
Investigators said the teen was not a gang member or the intended target, but she was with known gang members at the time of the shooting.
She was the only one who was hit.
Garcia was rushed to California Hospital Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.
Neighbors said four to five suspects rode up on bicycles and opened fire.
"Apparently, from the north end, four or five males approached the area," said LAPD Officer Cleon Joseph. "One of the males shot multiple rounds, striking Miss Garcia, and it is unknown as to why that would happen, as far as the description of the suspects, either."
According to family, friends and the LAPD, she had no gang ties whatsoever.
"She never liked gang-bangers," said Maria Perez, Daisy's cousin. "It's just dumb. I don't blame her for coming outside, but I blame the others. They know that there's kids out here and they just come shooting. That's just, like, messed up. They saw her crossing the street and they still shot her."
It's not an unfamiliar site in a neighborhood plagued by gang violence. A vigil in honor of a murder victim.
"We are definitely asking for the public's help," said Joseph. "If you were in the area at the time, you could help us by giving us a call."
As for suspect descriptions, police said they have little to go on. Investigators are hoping witnesses will come forward.
Persons with information are urged to call Los Angeles Police at (877) LAPD-24-7.
lapd, pico union, homicide investigation, murder, shooting, los angeles news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 21 min ago
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths 46 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)