Los Angeles News
With broken elbow, mayor volunteers at shelter
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is in recovery mode after taking a fall on his bicycle Saturday night.
Villaraigosa was wearing a sling Monday after he crashed his bicycle on a weekend ride. The mayor spoke out about the crash and explained how it might impact his job.
Lu Parker, the mayor's girlfriend and a local television reporter, adjusted the mayor's sling Monday. It was her project that he came to visit at the South Los Angeles Animal Shelter.
Parker's first project was fixing up the dilapidated lobby of the animal shelter. Volunteers, including the mayor, helped paint the lobby. Murals were painted on the walls and ceilings.
Villaraigosa said a taxi driver abruptly pulled out of a space on Venice Boulevard Saturday into the bike lane at about 6:;15 p.m. The mayor grabbed his brakes and went over the handlebars, landing head first on the ground and breaking his elbow. He was wearing a helmet.
"I'll have about eight weeks of recovery and then therapy after that," said Villaraigosa. "It was the size between a tennis ball and a grapefruit, so I knew it was serious."
Inside the shelter, the mayor met a little dog with a broken leg in a sling. They bonded.
The mayor's accident comes at a time when bicyclists are complaining about laws not being enforced, and about there not being enough bike lanes in the city.
In this case, the cab driver stopped after the accident and was questioned by one of the mayor's security officers. The other police officer took the mayor to the hospital.
The mayor hasn't ridden a bicycle since his inauguration nearly six years ago. He is right-handed, and broke his right elbow. There will be ordinances and proclamations to sign.
"They said it's legal for me to sign with an 'X' as long as there's somebody's watching," said Villaraigosa.
The mayor had a nerve block on his elbow, so he's not taking pain medication.
When there are proclamations or ordinances to sign, he can still sign with his left hand.
antonio villaraigosa, los angeles news, john north
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter 41 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Laughing can improve memory 6 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 10 min ago
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
50 min ago