Los Angeles News
Homeless women get Glamour Project makeovers
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Many in Los Angeles probably agree that a little glamour goes a long way. Just ask those behind Glamour Project. It brings homeless women some much-needed "TLC." It's a makeover that does wonders, not only for their look, but for their soul.
In about 15 minutes, makeup artist Evvy Shapero is able to bring out what these women already have, but hadn't seen in a while: their glamorous side.
From Shapero, it's then on to Kara Fox for their photo shoot. The before-and after-photos show the transformation.
They witness firsthand what a little makeup, tender loving care and some accessories can do to boost the women's self-esteem and regain their confidence.
"I think more so than the makeup, it's the sparkle in the eye, and the smile," said Shapero. "So much of it is the attention we give the women."
"We're not making a huge, major change, but we're putting the women in touch with something in a very gentle way that they can carry out of our Glamour Project photo session, in respect to them feeling good about themselves, a little better about themselves," said Fox.
The Downtown Women's Center has been helping homeless women get back on their feet in the Skid Row area for more than 30 years.
"Providing the service really shows that people do care about them, and I think that recognition lasts a long time," said Lisa Watson, executive director of the Downtown Women's Center. "It's not just for the moment."
Lisa Curtis's smile says it all. She lost her job and home. She said she's forgotten what it felt like to look so good.
"It makes me feel really good, and I'm -- for 55 years old -- this looks good," said Curtis. "Confident. Yeah."
downtown, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'