Los Angeles News
Homeless women get Glamour Project makeovers
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Many in Los Angeles probably agree that a little glamour goes a long way. Just ask those behind Glamour Project. It brings homeless women some much-needed "TLC." It's a makeover that does wonders, not only for their look, but for their soul.
In about 15 minutes, makeup artist Evvy Shapero is able to bring out what these women already have, but hadn't seen in a while: their glamorous side.
From Shapero, it's then on to Kara Fox for their photo shoot. The before-and after-photos show the transformation.
They witness firsthand what a little makeup, tender loving care and some accessories can do to boost the women's self-esteem and regain their confidence.
"I think more so than the makeup, it's the sparkle in the eye, and the smile," said Shapero. "So much of it is the attention we give the women."
"We're not making a huge, major change, but we're putting the women in touch with something in a very gentle way that they can carry out of our Glamour Project photo session, in respect to them feeling good about themselves, a little better about themselves," said Fox.
The Downtown Women's Center has been helping homeless women get back on their feet in the Skid Row area for more than 30 years.
"Providing the service really shows that people do care about them, and I think that recognition lasts a long time," said Lisa Watson, executive director of the Downtown Women's Center. "It's not just for the moment."
Lisa Curtis's smile says it all. She lost her job and home. She said she's forgotten what it felt like to look so good.
"It makes me feel really good, and I'm -- for 55 years old -- this looks good," said Curtis. "Confident. Yeah."
downtown, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained 22 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 15 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue 6 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour 27 min ago