Los Angeles News
Calif. workers protest being 'Expendables'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- State workers said they want the governor to stop treating them as expendables by imposing another round of furloughs, and they used the premier of the movie "The Expendables" -- in which the governor has a small role -- to get their message out.
Some members of SEIU Local 1,000 held a protest outside Grauman's Chinese Theater on Tuesday night.
Last week, Schwarzenegger declared a financial state of emergency over the lack of a state budget and ordered more than 150,000 state workers to take three days off a month. That's the equivalent to a 14 percent pay cut.
The new furloughs will start the second Friday in August and will include state services such as the DMV.
They said they're not asking people to boycott the film, they just want to use this premier and Schwarzenegger's appearance in the movie as an opportunity to make the public aware of their situation.
"Unlike the last furlough order, which they said would end June 30, he stated in this one that it would be until there was a budget signed and the finance officer stated there were sufficient revenues in the state," said Lynn Vilain, a protester. "So that leaves it very subjective."
The governor was not on the list of guests expected to show up.
Schwarzenegger said the economic situation left him no choice but to furlough state workers until the legislature produces a budget that can be signed.
los angeles news, leslie miller
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 21 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart 50 min ago
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)