Los Angeles News
15 men indicted in major Ecstasy ring bust
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County Grand Jury has indicted 15 men allegedly linked to a San Gabriel Valley drug ring.
The drug ring is believed responsible for the distribution of hundreds of thousands of MDMA (Ectasy) tablets every month.
Investigators say the drug ring was headed by a man identified as Jimmy Luong, 24, of Monterey Park.
During a search of Luong's house last month, authorities found an operating laboratory capable of manufacturing ectasy and large quantities of methamphetamine as well as a cache of 21 firearms.
"Ecstasy is a dangerous narcotic that can cause death, as we have seen at a number of local events in recent years," said United States Attorney André Birotte Jr. He pointed to the death of a teenage girl at a rave in Los Angeles several weeks ago.
Investigators say the drug ring maintained a "stash house" in the City of Industry. A second stash location was discovered in Arcadia.
Authorities say over the past eight months, they have seized more than one million illegal drug tablets.
Thirteen of the fifteen men named in the indictment are now in custody. One man, Tuan Vu, 24, of Alhambra is still a fugitive.
The drug trafficking charge alleged in the indictment carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in federal prison or up to 30 years in prison for defendants who have a prior felony drug conviction.
arrest, drug war, los angeles news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash 17 min ago
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway 14 min ago
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'