Los Angeles News
Jail brawl injures two inmates
CASTAIC, Calif. (KABC) -- About 200 inmates got into a brawl at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic sending two men to the hospital Sunday.
"This looks to be a coordinated effort by inmates to attack other inmates," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Captain Michael Parker.
Officers from the nearby Santa Clarita station and the California Highway Patrol helped jail officers control the fighting. Parker said inmates also used their beds to barricade doors and keep out deputies during the dispute.
The crowded Pitchess facility in Castaic has seen many disturbances in recent years including a racially-charged riot in 2006 that left one man dead and more than 100 injured. There have been half a dozen major disturbances in this year alone.
Sheriff's deputies tested out a new device at the facility last week that would subdue inmates by zapping them with heat without injuring them.
Associated Press contributed to this story.
los angeles county sheriff's department, santa clarita valley, fight, los angeles news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect found after escaping from police 6 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
56 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
51 min ago