Los Angeles News
Angeles Forest plagued by big city problems
ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST, Calif. (KABC) -- The Angeles National Forest is one of the most popular natural escapes in the Los Angeles area, but there are some aspects of urban living that are inescapable even there - graffiti and litter.
"There's a lot of cups, food, a lot of trash next to the river. We swim on it," said Gus Lopez, who came from Riverside to enjoy the park.
Many visitors on the holiday weekend were frustrated by the amount of trash they found.
"If you're at home you wouldn't leave your house like that, so that should apply here too," said Anna Gurski.
One reason for all of the refuse is the sheer number of visitors who hike the trails, set up picnics or play in the water. Each year more than three and a half million people visit the park.
"It's incredibly important to let people know that what they're leaving in this place may end up in part of their drinking water," said Daniel Rossman, whose Wilderness Society is pushing Congress to designate the Angeles National Forest as a national recreation area.
One simple solution Rossman suggested was to restart a program instructing visitors to carry out whatever they carry in to the park - especially trash.
However, funding for such a basic campaign is just not available at this time, proving that keeping our parklands clean is no walk in the park these days.
angeles national forest, community activity, environment, los angeles news, rob hayes
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees