Los Angeles News
Koreatown apartment fire consumes attic
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A massive apartment fire broke out in L.A.'s Koreatown on Friday morning.
Crews responded to the apartment building at 614 S. St. Andrews Place at about 8:30 a.m. Over 100 firefighters responded to the blaze and were able to contain the blaze to the attic area.
Chief Millage Peaks of the L.A. City Fire Department said firefighters immediately made an aggressive attack on the sixth floor because the attic was already fully involved when they got there. Firefighters cut holes in the roof to ventilate heat and smoke.
"Right now, we're basically dealing with salvage problems, water problems throughout the building," he said.
Residents said there was a fire in the manager's office on Thursday morning, and then on Friday morning, they heard shots fired from a possible drive-by shooting, and then they smelled smoke.
Moments later, they heard the manager yelling for everyone to evacuate.
"At first I thought, 'Someone's burning breakfast. Just turn the stove off,' but then it started to stink up a little bit more, and then I heard the manager running around," said witness J.P. Chua. "Pretty intense, but I grabbed the two most important things, myself and my dog."
Authorities said all residents were evacuated safely. According to Peaks, one man was taken to a local hospital as a precaution because he had trouble breathing.
The cause of the fire has not yet been determined. Arson investigators said they may have a preliminary cause for the fire later Friday. Investigators said despite earlier suspicion of arson, the fire appears to have been accidental.
One person was hospitalized for shortness of breath.
The American Red Cross is on scene to assist displaced residents. The Red Cross set up a shelter at the RFK Community High School gymnasium.
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
fire, koreatown, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand 23 min ago
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate 7 min ago
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out 3 min ago
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report