Los Angeles News
Canyons searched for Valley Village murderer
STUDIO CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- LAPD North Hollywood Division personnel were called to Franklin Canyon by a report of a prowler Friday. They had still not found the suspect as of Friday night.
An L.A. County Parks and Recreation worker reported seeing a Valley Village murder suspect on Thursday in Franklin Canyon. The worker was certain it was the suspect, 34-year-old Omar Armando Loera, based on wanted posters, according to LAPD Captain Justin Eisenberg.
LAPD cleared Franklin Canyon Friday with K-9 units and officers on foot Thursday.
Another possible sighting of Loera was reported on Friday in Fryman Canyon at Wilacre Park. The search moved to Wilacre Park with horseback officers and dirt-bike officers and a helicopter.
Since the search began, police received "several" more possible sightings of the suspect since Friday's search began, according to Eisenberg.
Detectives with the LAPD North Hollywood Station said during a Tuesday news conference that they are looking for Loera. He was identified as the sole suspect in the murder through DNA left at a Valley Village crime scene.
Firefighters found Chere Osmanhodzic's body in her burning apartment on the 11500 block of West Riverside Drive on July 24. Investigators believe the fire was set to cover up her murder.
The victim's fiancé, Adam Culvey, told police that he had returned from the store when he spotted a man in the victim's apartment. He chased the man for several blocks, but the suspect got away.
When Culvey returned, he said the apartment was on fire. Her body was discovered after the fire was put out.
Loera was described as a heavily tattooed transient who has a criminal history. Loera has served time for crimes such as transporting marijuana, assault with a deadly weapon, battery, and robbery with a knife.
Police say the suspect should be considered armed and dangerous.
A command post was set up at Fire Station 108 on Mulholland Drive Friday while the search was performed.
A $50,000 reward is offered for information leading to the suspect's arrest. Anyone with information related to the case is urged to call detectives at the LAPD North Hollywood Station at (818) 623-4016.
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
murder, fire, valley village, arson, homicide investigation, los angeles news
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case 1 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 53 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
42 min ago