Los Angeles News
Caltech 2nd in top world universities
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A London-based magazine has picked the California Institute of Technology as the number two university in the world. The Times Higher Education World University rankings were released on Thursday.
Harvard was first, followed by Caltech, MIT, Stanford, and Princeton rounded out the top five. Another California institution, the University of California at Berkeley, ranked eighth and the University of California Los Angeles ranked eleventh.
Last year, Caltech ranked tenth and this year was only one tenth of a percent from tying Harvard for first place. According to the magazine, the new rating system helped Caltech jump eight spots. It now assigns more weight to what the magazine calls objective measures of research and teaching quality, and less to subjective criteria such as reputation and historic stature.
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
ucla, los angeles news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)