Los Angeles News
Caltech 2nd in top world universities
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A London-based magazine has picked the California Institute of Technology as the number two university in the world. The Times Higher Education World University rankings were released on Thursday.
Harvard was first, followed by Caltech, MIT, Stanford, and Princeton rounded out the top five. Another California institution, the University of California at Berkeley, ranked eighth and the University of California Los Angeles ranked eleventh.
Last year, Caltech ranked tenth and this year was only one tenth of a percent from tying Harvard for first place. According to the magazine, the new rating system helped Caltech jump eight spots. It now assigns more weight to what the magazine calls objective measures of research and teaching quality, and less to subjective criteria such as reputation and historic stature.
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
ucla, los angeles news
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill
- Bear cub frequents Duarte for snacks
45 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
39 min ago