Los Angeles News
Caltech 2nd in top world universities
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- A London-based magazine has picked the California Institute of Technology as the number two university in the world. The Times Higher Education World University rankings were released on Thursday.
Harvard was first, followed by Caltech, MIT, Stanford, and Princeton rounded out the top five. Another California institution, the University of California at Berkeley, ranked eighth and the University of California Los Angeles ranked eleventh.
Last year, Caltech ranked tenth and this year was only one tenth of a percent from tying Harvard for first place. According to the magazine, the new rating system helped Caltech jump eight spots. It now assigns more weight to what the magazine calls objective measures of research and teaching quality, and less to subjective criteria such as reputation and historic stature.
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
ucla, los angeles news
- Fatal Baldwin Village fire deemed accident
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- Kelly Thomas trial: Surveillance video shown
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash 7 min ago
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Best high-tech toys for kids this season
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- Paul Walker crash seen on surveillance video
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video