Los Angeles News
LAUSD teacher mourned at memorial service
FLORENCE, Calif. (KABC) -- A memorial service was held Wednesday night for a Los Angeles Unified School District teacher who took his own life.
Rigoberto Ruelas was a fifth grade teacher at Miramonte Elementary school. Authorities found his body on Sunday near a ravine in the Angeles National Forest. Sheriff's officials said he committed suicide by jumping off a bridge.
Hundreds packed into the memorial service at Santa Maria Catholic Church Wednesday, where Ruelas was remembered as a dedicated teacher.
Last month, the Los Angeles Times named Ruelas as one of the "less effective" teachers according to the controversial value-added evaluation system. The union that represents teachers in the LAUSD called on the Times to take down the rankings, still published on their website.
"There is so much evidence to show that it was the straw to break the camel's back, so to speak, and there are many teachers that have expressed being despondent and demoralized over this," said Julie Washington, United Teachers Los Angeles Vice President.
Washington was one of several UTLA officials to attend the memorial, along with students and colleagues from Miramonte.
"Yes, we all get bad reviews at work but not many of us, in fact nobody I know except teachers, gets it published in the L.A. Times," said former student Andy Ramos.
The L.A. Times has expressed its condolences to the family, but said the published database is based on seven years of state test scores and that parents and the public have a right to judge the data for themselves.
There will be one more memorial service and mass before Rigo Ruelas will be laid to rest on October 5.
lausd, los angeles county sheriff's department, body found, media, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months