Los Angeles News
Band pulls publicity stunt on 101 Freeway
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A local independent band pulled a publicity stunt on the 101 Freeway in Los Angeles that caused traffic to back up for miles on Tuesday.
The California Highway Patrol received reports of men with guitars on the roof of a truck, apparently having a concert in the middle of the southbound lanes of the 101 Freeway just south of Sunset Boulevard. An ABC7 Eyewitness News viewer sent in a photo that shows men who appeared to be playing on top of the truck.
The driver reportedly parked the truck, then took off in another car, while the musicians climbed on top of the truck and began to perform.
Members of the band were arrested, but the locked truck remained in the middle of the freeway with no keys in sight.
Police attempted to move the truck using a CHP cruiser, but the move only generated a lot of smoke from the cruiser's spinning wheels.
A heavy-duty tow truck towed the vehicle away, but not before the incident caused a major traffic backup.
Police said the musicians could face charges of obstructing traffic. It is unknown how long the band played.
The band is called the Imperial Stars, and has a song called "Traffic Jam 101." Onthe band's website, it says it is dedicated to helping homeless children.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
traffic delay, los angeles news
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 13 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)