Los Angeles News
Band pulls publicity stunt on 101 Freeway
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A local independent band pulled a publicity stunt on the 101 Freeway in Los Angeles that caused traffic to back up for miles on Tuesday.
The California Highway Patrol received reports of men with guitars on the roof of a truck, apparently having a concert in the middle of the southbound lanes of the 101 Freeway just south of Sunset Boulevard. An ABC7 Eyewitness News viewer sent in a photo that shows men who appeared to be playing on top of the truck.
The driver reportedly parked the truck, then took off in another car, while the musicians climbed on top of the truck and began to perform.
Members of the band were arrested, but the locked truck remained in the middle of the freeway with no keys in sight.
Police attempted to move the truck using a CHP cruiser, but the move only generated a lot of smoke from the cruiser's spinning wheels.
A heavy-duty tow truck towed the vehicle away, but not before the incident caused a major traffic backup.
Police said the musicians could face charges of obstructing traffic. It is unknown how long the band played.
The band is called the Imperial Stars, and has a song called "Traffic Jam 101." Onthe band's website, it says it is dedicated to helping homeless children.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
traffic delay, los angeles news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- Cold snap moving across Southern California 50 min ago
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle 41 min ago
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Cool Kid raises money for children's hospital
10 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
53 min ago