Los Angeles News
Band pulls publicity stunt on 101 Freeway
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A local independent band pulled a publicity stunt on the 101 Freeway in Los Angeles that caused traffic to back up for miles on Tuesday.
The California Highway Patrol received reports of men with guitars on the roof of a truck, apparently having a concert in the middle of the southbound lanes of the 101 Freeway just south of Sunset Boulevard. An ABC7 Eyewitness News viewer sent in a photo that shows men who appeared to be playing on top of the truck.
The driver reportedly parked the truck, then took off in another car, while the musicians climbed on top of the truck and began to perform.
Members of the band were arrested, but the locked truck remained in the middle of the freeway with no keys in sight.
Police attempted to move the truck using a CHP cruiser, but the move only generated a lot of smoke from the cruiser's spinning wheels.
A heavy-duty tow truck towed the vehicle away, but not before the incident caused a major traffic backup.
Police said the musicians could face charges of obstructing traffic. It is unknown how long the band played.
The band is called the Imperial Stars, and has a song called "Traffic Jam 101." Onthe band's website, it says it is dedicated to helping homeless children.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
traffic delay, los angeles news
- Wrong-way driver causes 8-car pileup on 14 Fwy
- South LA chase ends with crash, standoff
- Passenger rants about poison, CIA on plane
- West Hills murder suspect caught in motel room
- Motorcycle fleeing police crashes; 2 dead
- IE man dies after being crushed by cows
- OC sheriff's deputy critically injured in crash
- Dog goes missing from Norco grooming shop
- Jimmy Hoffa search: FBI looks at MI field
- abcnews: Victim's grandson welcomes release of killer
- G8 meeting: Divisions over Syrian civil war
- Jackson trial: Former record exec testifies
- Jay-Z's new album 'Magna Carta Holy Grail'
- OTRC: 'Girl Meets World' getting full series
- Collison brings his b-ball camp to Etiwanda...
33 min ago
- 'Monsters U' is very funny - Billy Crystal
13 min ago