Los Angeles News
Dock workers hospitalized from chemical spill
PORT OF LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Three dock workers at the Port of Los Angeles have been hospitalized following a chemical spill on board a cargo ship Saturday.
The chemical is called xylenol and is sometimes used in pesticides. The leak was reported around 4 p.m. aboard the APL Sweden at Berth 303.
A fire department spokesman said the spill was only a couple of gallons, but three workers did have respiratory problems and were taken to the hospital.
No land-based evacuations were ordered, but the ship was evacuated while a hazardous materials team investigated.
City News Service contributed to this report.
port of los angeles, los angeles news
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital 47 min ago
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 13 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 11 min ago
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 11 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert 9 min ago
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks