Los Angeles News
200K turn out for WeHo Halloween Carnaval
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- Some 200,000 revelers jammed West Hollywood on Sunday for its annual "Halloween Costume Carnaval."
The event was billed as the biggest Halloween celebration in the world.
Revelers were out in elaborate, clever and often outrageous costumes for the celebration.
Julie Lancaster and her niece dived into their recyclables to come up with their elaborate sea-oriented creations.
"I love dressing up, I love the crowd," said Lancaster in her ocean diver costume.
Lancaster's niece was in a mermaid costume.
This year's event featured an attempt to make it into the Guinness Book of World Records. Attendees tried to break the record for the largest Time Warp dance, a dance from the "Rocky Horror Picture Show."
This year marked the 35th anniversary of the midnight cult film. The Time Warp happened at 10:45 p.m. on all six performance stages set up at the Carnaval.
Santa Monica Boulevard was shut down between La Cienega Boulevard and Doheny Drive, and Robertson Boulevard was closed between Melrose Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard.
The closures were in effect from 12 p.m. Sunday and expected to go last until 6 a.m. Monday.
To get updates on the road closures, parking and the event itself, text "WEHOSHERIFF" to 888-777.
City News Service contributed to this report.
west hollywood, halloween, los angeles news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 47 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever 21 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour