Los Angeles News
Driver runs over masked gunman in East L.A.
EAST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man in East Los Angeles drove into his driveway and saw a masked man pointing a shotgun at him. Instead of driving away, he stepped on the gas and drove into the gunman.
The incident happened on Nevada Avenue south of Michigan Avenue around 8 p.m. Wednesday.
The driver's SUV went over the sidewalk, through a fence and ended up in a yard, pinning the suspect underneath.
Witnesses said they saw the shotgun on the ground and heard the suspect calling for help.
"I was inside doing my homework, and then I just heard a loud crash and when I came out, I just seen the car on the fence and then that's when I heard someone scream to help him," said a witness. "That was when we just tried to stay quiet, tried not to do anything and we just called the cops."
Deputies said the gunman was 25-year-old Jason Perez. He was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and taken to the hospital for moderate injuries.
Investigators were trying to figure out a motive.
The driver was not injured and authorities said he acted in self-defense.
east los angeles, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Kristen Wiig talks about missing 'SNL'