Los Angeles News
Driver runs over masked gunman in East L.A.
EAST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man in East Los Angeles drove into his driveway and saw a masked man pointing a shotgun at him. Instead of driving away, he stepped on the gas and drove into the gunman.
The incident happened on Nevada Avenue south of Michigan Avenue around 8 p.m. Wednesday.
The driver's SUV went over the sidewalk, through a fence and ended up in a yard, pinning the suspect underneath.
Witnesses said they saw the shotgun on the ground and heard the suspect calling for help.
"I was inside doing my homework, and then I just heard a loud crash and when I came out, I just seen the car on the fence and then that's when I heard someone scream to help him," said a witness. "That was when we just tried to stay quiet, tried not to do anything and we just called the cops."
Deputies said the gunman was 25-year-old Jason Perez. He was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and taken to the hospital for moderate injuries.
Investigators were trying to figure out a motive.
The driver was not injured and authorities said he acted in self-defense.
east los angeles, los angeles news, darsha philips
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition 47 min ago
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park 11 min ago
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 3 min ago
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report