Los Angeles News
Neighbors frustrated w/ man's car collection
COVINA, Calif. (KABC) -- Finding Mark Shoff can sometimes be hard to do, but finding his cars is never a problem - not if you're in his unincorporated Covina neighborhood.
His neighbors say he owns more than four-dozen cars and parks them up and down the streets surrounding his house.
"It's very frustrating," said neighbor Idabelle Schroepfer. "Something should be done."
Many of the cars are weather beaten and run down. Some have expired tags, and others are adorned with cobwebs on the axles and steering wheels - signs that they aren't being driven.
Residents say Shoff has been hogging the street parking in the area for more than 20 years. They've signed a petition and presented it to county officials, but they feel little has been done to get Shoff to remove the cars.
"It's been going on for years and has been, and it seems like no good comes of it," said Jack Skahill, another frustrated neighbor.
All the complaints have caught the county's attention though.
"This is an obvious nuisance to the residents. The supervisor is concerned about this situation and is working with the various county departments to find a solution to this problem," said a spokesman for L.A. County Supervisor Mike Antonovich in a statement.
L.A. County requires residents to move their cars at least once every 72 hours. Neighbors say Shoff gets around that rule by moving each vehicle a few inches every three days.
"It does cause an inconvenience, and we've entertained people, and they haven't had a place to park," said neighbor Greg Reinnecker.
But Reinnecker and many other neighbors say they are not that upset with Shoff, though they admit they aren't as close to his cars as other neighbors.
Neighbors say Shoff's ragtag collection of cars continues grow - much like their frustrations, which are now on a crash course with cars that barely move.
san gabriel valley, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Mandela honored by world, South Africans
- South El Monte hospital fire triggers evacs
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 22 min ago
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- 50-acre brush fire erupts near Moorpark 42 min ago
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Hesperia house fire started in gas fireplace 25 min ago
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Mary Barra becomes 1st female CEO of GM 24 min ago
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns
- How healthy is flavoring up your water?
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke
- Pet of the Week: Beagle mix named Noelle
59 min ago