Los Angeles News
Woman, 86, pushed onto Metro tracks, dies
LITTLE TOKYO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Authorities are investigating the death of a woman who was found injured on a Metro Gold Line platform in L.A.'s Little Tokyo on Sunday morning.
A woman, identified as 44-year-old Jackkqueline Pogue, was booked in connection with the death.
According to police, 86-year-old Betty Sugiyama of Los Angeles was found injured at the rail station at 200 North Alameda Street. She was taken to a hospital, where she died about 12 hours later.
Sugiyama was pushed from the platform onto the tracks, detectives said, and witnesses told police that the incident appeared to be unprovoked.
Sugiyama's sister, who was present during the incident, said Pogue shouted something, then pushed Betty off the platform.
"I think she's sick. She must be. If somebody she didn't even know, just push her off. And then she didn't seem concerned at all. She just sat back on the chair," said Mary Sugiyama, the victim's sister.
"Is it an anomaly? Probably. It doesn't happen that much, but it's unfortunate that it happens at all," said L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. Spokesman Steve Whitmore. "And that's our concern, that one time is way too many. There was no reason to do this. It was just heinous. It was just an 86-year-old woman waiting to take the Metro Gold Line. It's just unconscionable."
Pogue was booked at the Century Regional Detention Facility of the Los Angeles County Jail for attempted murder. Her bail was set at $1 million.
"Given that the victim has now died as a result of her injuries, investigators will be seeking to file a murder charge with the Office of the Los Angeles County District Attorney," said Sheriff's Homicide Bureau Lieutenant Dave Coleman.
little tokyo, los angeles news, john hartung
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months