Los Angeles News
Maywood schoolteacher receives national award
MAYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- Think back to when you were in school: Remember getting a surprise "pop quiz?" A Maywood teacher got a surprise "pop award" Wednesday.
Students and teachers at Maywood Elementary School thought they were attending a routine school assembly Wednesday morning until a special guest showed up: Lowell Milken, chairman and co-founder of the Milken Family Foundation.
"I have a secret I want to share with every one of you this morning," said Milken.
That secret? The announcement that someone on the Maywood Elementary School staff was about to receive a big award.
The $25,000 Milken Educator Award is given to 55 of the top teachers, principals and specialists in the country. The prestigious honor has been called the "Oscar" of teaching and is always delivered during an assembly to an educator who has no idea what they're in for.
"It gives me great pleasure to present the Milken Educator Award to a truly outstanding teacher: Tamara Garfio," said Milken.
"It was amazing! It was shocking and amazing, it feels good," said Garfio. "I love my job and I know I'm in the right profession, so to be rewarded for that is an awesome feeling."
By all accounts, the 3rd-grade teacher is raising the bar at Maywood, not only for her students but for her peers as well.
"She's a great teacher, she helps all of us here. She's just amazing," said student Nicolas Gudino.
"She really gives teachers great ideas that they can go back and implement," said Maywood Elementary School Principal Lupe Hernandez.
education, lausd, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 25 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US 28 min ago
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis