Los Angeles News
Celebs serve Thanksgiving meals at LA Mission
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Celebrities and political leaders volunteered on Wednesday in downtown L.A., where thousands of people turned out for the annual Thanksgiving meal at the Los Angeles Mission.
Officials said they expected to serve 3,500 meals by the end of the day.
"I think we're all on this planet together as a community, and to whom much is given, much is expected," said "Grey's Anatomy" actress Sarah Drew. "I've been given a lot in my life, and I think it's really important for me to give back."
Actor Kirk Douglas and his wife Anne have been volunteering at the event for years, saying it's a way for them to give back to the community. The celebrity couple says they've seen an increase in the number of people on Skid Row.
Singer Billy Davis Jr. was also seen volunteering.
"We who are not homeless, we always get together on Thanksgiving with our families, but we don't ever want to forget that those are families out there who don't have homes, but they're still families, and we want to see them happy and be together," he said.
With the economy in bad shape, the Los Angeles Mission is seeing a lot more families in need of help.
"We continue to see more people than ever. We're seeing a different face of homelessness, many who are maybe not on the streets, but living in someone's basement, garage, maybe in their car," said Herb Smith of the Los Angeles Mission.
Meals were served until 3 p.m.
Doctors were also on hand to help those who may need medical help.
food, holiday, downtown, economy, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event