Los Angeles News
Mom attacks coach after kid cut, police say
NEWHALL, Calif. (KABC) -- A mother was arrested for allegedly attacking a coach after she learned her daughter was cut from a sports team at Hart High School in Newhall.
Students said when the girl was cut from the varsity soccer team her mother was outraged. So outraged, L.A. County Sheriff's detectives say, 52-year-old Becky Bataille confronted the coach and assaulted him, hitting several times in the face.
The alleged assault happened last month on the school's campus.
"She was booked on battery on a school official, which is a felony under California law, which has very serious consequences if she is found guilty," said L.A. County Sheriff's Sgt. Darren Harris.
Bataille posted $60,000 bail and was released from jail with a notice to appear in court. School officials at Hart High School have not issued a statement.
"I think that if the parent thought that it was unfair or unjust for some reason that she should have taken it up with the school itself. We have a pretty fair school and if there was a problem they would have done something," said student Kaula Cox.
"I think it's completely out of control that a parent would do that. I mean, maybe if the daughter had a lot at stake for making the soccer team, but nothing should lead to violence," said student Josh Winklhofer.
Detectives are still investigating the alleged incident.
unbelievable, santa clarita valley, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way 19 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 47 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing 19 min ago
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
- Pet of the week: 2-month-old Chihuahua-mix
7 min ago