Los Angeles News
Mom attacks coach after kid cut, police say
NEWHALL, Calif. (KABC) -- A mother was arrested for allegedly attacking a coach after she learned her daughter was cut from a sports team at Hart High School in Newhall.
Students said when the girl was cut from the varsity soccer team her mother was outraged. So outraged, L.A. County Sheriff's detectives say, 52-year-old Becky Bataille confronted the coach and assaulted him, hitting several times in the face.
The alleged assault happened last month on the school's campus.
"She was booked on battery on a school official, which is a felony under California law, which has very serious consequences if she is found guilty," said L.A. County Sheriff's Sgt. Darren Harris.
Bataille posted $60,000 bail and was released from jail with a notice to appear in court. School officials at Hart High School have not issued a statement.
"I think that if the parent thought that it was unfair or unjust for some reason that she should have taken it up with the school itself. We have a pretty fair school and if there was a problem they would have done something," said student Kaula Cox.
"I think it's completely out of control that a parent would do that. I mean, maybe if the daughter had a lot at stake for making the soccer team, but nothing should lead to violence," said student Josh Winklhofer.
Detectives are still investigating the alleged incident.
unbelievable, santa clarita valley, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'