Los Angeles News
Mom attacks coach after kid cut, police say
NEWHALL, Calif. (KABC) -- A mother was arrested for allegedly attacking a coach after she learned her daughter was cut from a sports team at Hart High School in Newhall.
Students said when the girl was cut from the varsity soccer team her mother was outraged. So outraged, L.A. County Sheriff's detectives say, 52-year-old Becky Bataille confronted the coach and assaulted him, hitting several times in the face.
The alleged assault happened last month on the school's campus.
"She was booked on battery on a school official, which is a felony under California law, which has very serious consequences if she is found guilty," said L.A. County Sheriff's Sgt. Darren Harris.
Bataille posted $60,000 bail and was released from jail with a notice to appear in court. School officials at Hart High School have not issued a statement.
"I think that if the parent thought that it was unfair or unjust for some reason that she should have taken it up with the school itself. We have a pretty fair school and if there was a problem they would have done something," said student Kaula Cox.
"I think it's completely out of control that a parent would do that. I mean, maybe if the daughter had a lot at stake for making the soccer team, but nothing should lead to violence," said student Josh Winklhofer.
Detectives are still investigating the alleged incident.
unbelievable, santa clarita valley, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report