Los Angeles News
South Gate woman kidnapped, robbed of money
DOWNEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Armed robbers confronted a woman outside a Lynwood market, forcing themselves into her car and taking her on a wild ride to get cash for them.
It was a terrifying ordeal that lasted about six hours. It ended at a Macy's in Downey. L.A. County Sheriff's investigators are saying they've seen similar crimes popping up in the last year and almost every time the target is an elderly woman.
Maria clutches her newly prescribed anxiety medication still shaken and frightened. Friday morning the 69-year-old South Gate resident was loading groceries into her car outside the Super Value Plus in Lynwood when a woman carrying thousands of dollars in cash approached Maria and said she needed a ride to look at real estate.
"She jumped in the car, I said, 'No, get out, get out, I want to go home.' She said 'oh no,' she take my purse," said Maria.
A man believed to be in his 50s then jumped in the car. Maria was ordered to drive to her bank and take out the $1,400 she had in one account. Next they stopped at Maria's house to get more money.
After getting gas, the man and woman took Maria to a nearby Home Depot where they charged $2,600 in merchandise to her credit card, even buying a Christmas tree.
The last stop was at Macy's in Downey. The Hispanic female suspect in her 30s with numerous facial piercings was wearing scrubs, pretending to be Maria's nurse, but the victim says she had a gun in her purse.
After charging another $500 to her credit card, Maria said she had to use the restroom. When she came out the suspects were gone. The kidnappers made off with nearly $2,000 in cash and more than $3,100 in merchandise.
"The people that I talked to on the credit card they are going to try and see if everything can be reversed," said Sandy Mata, Maria's daughter. "The only thing I can hope and pray that they get caught."
Investigators spent a good part of Monday gathering surveillance video. They urge anyone with information related to this case to call the L.A. County Century Station at (323) 569-4801.
robbery, kidnap, south gate, south bay, south los angeles, los angeles news, john hartung
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists'
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants