Los Angeles News
Crash wedges car between 2 homes in San Pedro
SAN PEDRO, Calif. (KABC) -- A motorist lost control of his car Sunday in San Pedro and wedged it in between two homes five feet off the ground.
The bizarre crash happened on the 1400 block of West 17th Street around 1:15 a.m.
Crews managed to get the car back on the ground later in the morning.
Police said the driver of the car ran the stop sign at 17th Street and Weymouth Avenue. The vehicle hit a curb, lifted off the ground, busted through a fence and then became wedged in a small space between the homes. The Ford Fusion was suspended about five feet off the ground.
The home that was hit by the front nose of the car suffered the bulk of the damage.
Police said the driver was under the influence of alcohol and was arrested. The driver and the passenger were not seriously hurt. Authorities said both were under the age of 21.
How fast the car was going at the time of the crash is under investigation. Police said it appears that the driver never applied the brakes.
Monica Allen was asleep when she heard the crash.
"I woke up and I said to my husband, 'Wake up,' and he says, 'Oh, that was an earthquake,' but I said, 'Oh no, that wasn't,'" Allen said.
"So I came downstairs and I opened the door to my living room and I saw a car hanging," Allen described.
The car busted the wall of Allen's dining room and shattered a mirror that was hanging there. She said she was relieved that the car did not hit the second floor of the house, where she and her husband were sleeping.
The house next door was unoccupied and had been recently sold. The entire kitchen is in shambles and the people who recently moved out estimate the damage at possibly $100,000.
The driver's name was not immediately released.
No one was seriously injured in the incident.
City News Service contributed to this report.
car crash, arrest, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Hiker becomes ill, dies at Runyon Canyon Park 4 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 52 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 50 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 40 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks