Los Angeles News
Koreatown underground parking bandit arrested
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 40-year-old Los Angeles man was arrested in connection with a rash of underground parking lot robberies in Koreatown.
Sammy Johnson was arrested Dec. 16 as he tried to evade police after allegedly robbing two victims in the 400 block of Western Avenue.
Police said the area has seen a rash of robberies involving one or two black male suspects. The robberies show very similar methods.
The suspects would wait outside of an apartment complex and follow the residents as they drove into the building's secure, covered parking structure.
One of the suspects would then approach the targeted victim and demand money while signaling a concealed handgun. The suspects would then take money and other personal items before running away.
Investigators learned that the suspects targeted Korean victims. In most of the robberies, victims described only one suspect, but police believe two suspects are working together in these heists.
Police said the suspects would drive off in a silver or gray getaway car. In most of the robberies, the main suspect would wear a hat and a wig as a disguise.
When Johnson was arrested, he was driving a 1999 Dodge Intrepid. Arresting officers also found evidence of disguises possibly used in the robberies.
In addition to apartment parking garages, detectives believe the suspects may have also robbed two Korean-owned restaurants on Olympic Boulevard.
Johnson was booked and charged with multiple counts of robbery and held without bail. The other suspect is still at large.
If you have any information regarding these Koreatown robberies, you're urged to contact police at (213) 382-9463.
koreatown, robbery, arrest, los angeles news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 1 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash 36 min ago
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event
- 'Functional fitness' takes dysfunctional turn
12 min ago