Los Angeles News
Wisconsin Badgers fans rally in Santa Monica
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- Thousands of Wisconsin Badgers fans invaded Santa Monica Pier for a pep rally Thursday before their game against the Texas Christian Horned Frogs.
Just a few yards from the blue Pacific Ocean was a sea of red, an estimated 25,000 crazed Badgers fans in town for Saturday's 97th Rose Bowl.
While Southern California residents were trying to cope with the cold temperatures, the weather was ideal for many Wisconsinites.
"It's still warmer," Dave Vandeven said. "Most of us don't have jackets."
Wisconsin (11-1) is making its first trip to the Rose Bowl in 11 years. It is slightly considered an underdog to the Horned Frogs, who are making their first trip to Pasadena.
It's only the second time the two teams have ever played each other.
Their last matchup was in 1970, and it ended in a tie.
pasadena, college football, rose bowl, santa monica, los angeles news, john hartung
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero' 52 min ago
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour