Los Angeles News
Wisconsin Badgers fans rally in Santa Monica
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- Thousands of Wisconsin Badgers fans invaded Santa Monica Pier for a pep rally Thursday before their game against the Texas Christian Horned Frogs.
Just a few yards from the blue Pacific Ocean was a sea of red, an estimated 25,000 crazed Badgers fans in town for Saturday's 97th Rose Bowl.
While Southern California residents were trying to cope with the cold temperatures, the weather was ideal for many Wisconsinites.
"It's still warmer," Dave Vandeven said. "Most of us don't have jackets."
Wisconsin (11-1) is making its first trip to the Rose Bowl in 11 years. It is slightly considered an underdog to the Horned Frogs, who are making their first trip to Pasadena.
It's only the second time the two teams have ever played each other.
Their last matchup was in 1970, and it ended in a tie.
pasadena, college football, rose bowl, santa monica, los angeles news, john hartung
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 3 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash 38 min ago
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event
- 'Functional fitness' takes dysfunctional turn
14 min ago