Los Angeles News
Thief returns to store to report missing car
GLENDORA, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspected thief called even more attention to himself after trying to rip off a Glendora Walmart store.
On Monday, Cloyde Pulmones thought he had Walmart scammed. Officials said a surveillance video showed the 32-year-old Corona resident grab a $300 computer, then head straight to the register and show a receipt.
"He had an old receipt that he had and went into the store and alleged that the computer that he had with him was actually purchased that day with an old receipt," said Lt. Tim Staab of the Glendora Police Department.
The clerk allowed the man to leave. The suspect left holding his new computer in one hand and his old receipt in the other hand. He headed straight for his car to get away, but his car wasn't there.
"We received a call from a repo company. Unbeknownst to the suspect, a repo company had been following him all during that day and when he parked it in that Walmart parking lot, his car actually got repossessed," said Staab.
The suspect headed back into Walmart to report that his car had been stolen.
But Walmart security had been tracking Pulmones' suspicious behavior and police were already on their way to arrest him for burglary.
"His middle name was probably 'moron.' Who in their right mind would do what he did?" said shopper Jeff Sanchez.
"What an idiot. I mean, if you're going to steal something and then run out and call the cops on the fact that you got your car stolen, you deserve to go to jail twice," said shopper Karen Vega.
"John Wayne once said 'Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid,'" said Staab.
Officials said Pulmones has a long criminal past, including several counts of burglary.
caught on tape, stupid criminals, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 7 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 47 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures 4 min ago
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy' 53 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)