Los Angeles News
$100K reward offered for LAUSD cop shooter
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A major reward has been offered in the search for the gunman who shot a school police officer Wednesday.Officials are offering $100,000 to get the gunman behind bars.
The suspect opened fire on a school police officer Wednesday in Woodland Hills, prompting a lockdown at nine schools.
The Los Angeles City Council approved on Friday the maximum amount it can offer, $75,000. Several police and fire associations added $15,000 and the founder of the 99 Cents Only store chain donated $9,999.99.
"We want the public to be alert that this individual is a threat to all of us," said Los Angeles City Councilman Dennis Zine. "He's armed. He shot at a uniformed police officer. And this reward is very important to keep the public attention on this until this individual is apprehended."
Authorities are hoping the reward, combined with a composite sketch of the suspect, will soon lead to an arrest.
The gunman is described as Caucasian, in his mid-to-late 40s, 5 feet 9 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall with a thin build. He had long, gray hair that was tied in a ponytail.
Los Angeles school police officer Jeffrey Stenroos was gunned down outside El Camino Real High School. He was shot in the chest, but his protective vest saved his life.
A U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary member who witnessed the shooting rushed to the officer's aid, using a police radio to call for help.
"What I did, I don't feel was anything that unusual. I'm a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary. What I did [Wednesday] was just do what I'm trained to do," said Michael Brody.
Anyone with information was urged to call the Los Angeles Police Department at (877) LAPD-24-7. Callers can remain anonymous.
shooting, lausd, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 1 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 26 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...