Los Angeles News
Pursuit suspect arrested after violent crash
COVINA, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was arrested after a slow-speed pursuit in Pasadena on Monday night that quickly escalated, ending with a violent "T-bone" crash in Covina.
Both the suspect and the victim remained hospitalized Tuesday. They were in worse condition than initially reported.
The woman in the car that the suspect hit was taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center with multiple broken bones and internal injuries, according to police. It had originally been reported that the woman sustained minor injuries.
Authorities said police began pursuing the suspect's vehicle after he committed traffic violations in Old Town Pasadena just before 11 p.m. Officers suspected the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
They repeatedly tried to pull him over, and soon the chase was on all over the San Gabriel Valley.
Officers attempted to utilize the PIT (Precision Intervention Technique) maneuver to sideswipe the suspect's vehicle and end the pursuit, but it ended with the suspect slamming into a woman's car at the intersection of Puente Street and Barranca Avenue.
After the collision, a dog jumped out of the suspect's vehicle. The dog has not been found.
Officers struggled to apprehend the suspect for several minutes, while the other driver sat in her car trapped. The suspect was Tasered and then taken to County-USC Medical Center.
Authorities extricated the other driver, a woman in her 20s, and rushed her to the hospital.
Neighbors in the area said it was an extremely loud crash, waking up much of the neighborhood.
The suspect, identified as a 45-year-old man from Hollywood, will not be booked until he is deemed fit for transport from the hospital.
Police say he will face at least felony evading arrest charges and likely several others.
arrest, accident, car crash, car chase, caught on tape, san gabriel valley, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 7 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 13 min ago
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role