Los Angeles News
4 Korean men arrested in LA for hate crime
DIAMOND BAR, Calif. (KABC) -- Four Korean suspects have been arrested in connection to a hate crime against a Chinese man in Diamond Bar.
Officials said on Feb. 6, a 25-year-old Chinese-American man entered a Korean restaurant on East Colima Road and ordered food to-go. They said one man from a group of seven Korean adults approached the victim and asked if he was Korean. The victim said he's Chinese.
Investigators said the victim was followed into the parking lot, where he was beaten by the Korean group for no apparent reason.
The suspects then smashed the windows and removed the side-view mirrors of the victim's car. Police said the suspects took the man's wallet, which contained money and credit cards. They also allegedly took his GPS navigator.
The victim suffered cuts and bruises all over his body, including a large cut on his head.
A witness gave police a license plate number of the suspect vehicle. Authorities then went to the registered owner's home and arrested 18-year-old Jachin Yi.
Police also arrested 19-year-old Peter Kim after finding his ATM card in the parking lot where the incident happened.
Officials said after viewing surveillance video from the restaurant, they were able to arrest other suspects, including 29-year-old Hwan Joon Huh and 25-year-old Jae Du.
Yi and Kim have since been released on bail of $80,000 and $50,000, respectively. Huh and Du are being held at Walnut Sheriff's Station on $100,000 bail each. Formal charges will be sought on Thursday.
All suspects are members or associates of a Korean-American street gang called Asian Mafia Assassins, which is based mostly in eastern Los Angeles County, according to police.
The investigation is ongoing, and authorities said they're looking for at least two more suspects.
Anyone with information was urged to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
hate crime, arrest, los angeles news
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video