Los Angeles News
Cardinal Mahony retires, new head steps in
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Cardinal Roger Mahony stepped down as archbishop Sunday and celebrated his final mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.
Mahony turned 75 on Sunday, the standard retirement age under church rules. He lead the Los Angeles Archdiocese, a flock of some 5 million that he has overseen for 25 years.
The new head will be Mexico native Archbishop Jose Gomez, who arrived to Los Angeles from Texas in May.
Gomez and Mahony presided jointly over Sunday's symbolic ceremony.
Gomez is the first archbishop of Mexican descent to head a North American archdiocese, though many of his flock have roots in Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal 1 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- SEALS take oil tanker from Libyan rebels 11 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians