Los Angeles News
Cardinal Mahony retires, new head steps in
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Cardinal Roger Mahony stepped down as archbishop Sunday and celebrated his final mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.
Mahony turned 75 on Sunday, the standard retirement age under church rules. He lead the Los Angeles Archdiocese, a flock of some 5 million that he has overseen for 25 years.
The new head will be Mexico native Archbishop Jose Gomez, who arrived to Los Angeles from Texas in May.
Gomez and Mahony presided jointly over Sunday's symbolic ceremony.
Gomez is the first archbishop of Mexican descent to head a North American archdiocese, though many of his flock have roots in Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break