Los Angeles News
Cardinal Mahony retires, new head steps in
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Cardinal Roger Mahony stepped down as archbishop Sunday and celebrated his final mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.
Mahony turned 75 on Sunday, the standard retirement age under church rules. He lead the Los Angeles Archdiocese, a flock of some 5 million that he has overseen for 25 years.
The new head will be Mexico native Archbishop Jose Gomez, who arrived to Los Angeles from Texas in May.
Gomez and Mahony presided jointly over Sunday's symbolic ceremony.
Gomez is the first archbishop of Mexican descent to head a North American archdiocese, though many of his flock have roots in Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 36 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 6 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 36 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'