Los Angeles News
L.A. announces ambitious bikeway project
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There are ambitious plans for new bikeways in the city of Los Angeles.
"Aside from the fact that we'll actually be making the streets safer for bicyclists, the city has recognized today that bicyclists are important," said L.A. cyclist Ted Rogers.
The city of Los Angeles celebrated its unanimous adoption of the city's master bicycle plan Wednesday. The goal is to construct more than 1,600 miles of bikeways across the city.
"Every time somebody's on a bicycle, they reduce traffic, they reduce pollution, so this is about changing our city streets to make it just as friendly to a bicyclist as it is to a driver," said L.A. City Council President Eric Garcetti.
The city has pledged to build 40 miles of bikeways in a year. That's four times more than what has been done in the past.
"We have roughly $3.7 million a year to work with that's committed to this," said L.A. City Councilman Bill Rosendahl. "We got money out of Measure R and we have a commitment to spend it on doing this."
And with prices rising at the pump, advocates feel it's been long overdue.
"I love to say that L.A. leads the country and the world in a number of areas but this hasn't been one of them," said L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. "This will give L.A. an opportunity to be a world-class bicycling city, a city that encourages people to get out of their cars and onto bikes."
Now it's going to be even easier to integrate riding your bike and use the transit systems.
"They can just ride to a Park and Ride lot and then use public transit in combination with cycling," said L.A. cyclist Dave Sotero. "It's kind of like a one-two knockout punch to keep the car at home."
los angeles news, indra petersons
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 25 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 57 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 41 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 54 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
42 min ago