Los Angeles News
Train commuters thwart kidnap attempt in LA
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- As many as 10 commuters stopped a man from kidnapping a young girl off a Metro train at the Avalon Green Line Station in South Los Angeles.
Authorities said the suspect, 46-year-old James Alfred Burnett, is a registered sex offender.
Surveillance photos show him on the train's platform at around 2 p.m. Thursday.
The suspect tried to drag a young girl off the train, according to the sheriff's department. Bystanders grabbed him, and the young girl fled.
"He had grabbed her in a bear hug, and he was dragging her off. And this group of passengers, could be up to 10 people, actually prevented this from occurring. They tackled him and they brought him to the ground," said Steve Whitmore of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The suspect fled on another train but was captured at the next station. Sheriff's investigators hope the unknown victim will contact them.
kidnap, south los angeles, los angeles news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified 55 min ago
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 18 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis