Los Angeles News
Train commuters thwart kidnap attempt in LA
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- As many as 10 commuters stopped a man from kidnapping a young girl off a Metro train at the Avalon Green Line Station in South Los Angeles.
Authorities said the suspect, 46-year-old James Alfred Burnett, is a registered sex offender.
Surveillance photos show him on the train's platform at around 2 p.m. Thursday.
The suspect tried to drag a young girl off the train, according to the sheriff's department. Bystanders grabbed him, and the young girl fled.
"He had grabbed her in a bear hug, and he was dragging her off. And this group of passengers, could be up to 10 people, actually prevented this from occurring. They tackled him and they brought him to the ground," said Steve Whitmore of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The suspect fled on another train but was captured at the next station. Sheriff's investigators hope the unknown victim will contact them.
kidnap, south los angeles, los angeles news
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony 46 min ago
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre 37 min ago