Los Angeles News
Police in brief standoff on Staples Center court
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man with a knife on the arena floor of Staples Center prompted an hour-long standoff with police before the Los Angeles Clippers hosted the Cleveland Cavaliers Saturday afternoon.
About 25 arena security guards surrounded the man when he was spotted walking onto the court with a knife.
The man eventually made his way to the visiting bench and remained in front of it while talking to three Los Angeles police officers who had their guns drawn on him from different angles.
Police tackled and detained the man at 11:20 a.m. after he made a move toward a tunnel leading off the court. He was placed in handcuffs and escorted out of the area by police.
The court was reopened to players, media and arena employees 18 minutes later.
Some spectators for the 12:30 p.m. game had begun filing into the arena, but were evacuated once the standoff started. Players from both teams watched the drama unfold on a small TV monitor outside the Cavaliers' dressing room before they were instructed to return to their locker rooms.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
standoff, los angeles clippers, cleveland cavaliers, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 23 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)