Los Angeles News
Arrest in shooting death of NBC executive
PORTER RANCH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There is a new development in the shooting death of an NBC/Universal executive.
An acquaintance of Brian Russell Kaplon is now charged with his murder after being questioned and released.
The alleged killer, David Armstrong, lived in a gated community in Porter Ranch not too far from Kaplon. The two had known each other for a long time, but they were not close friends according to Kaplon's wife.
Kaplon and his wife have a 2-and-a-half-year-old daughter, and Kristie Kaplon is expecting twins in May. On advice from police and her father-in-law, none of the family would go on camera.
Armstrong, who lives in the gated community called Sorrento, denies murdering Kaplon. Security at the community said the Armstrong family hasn't been home for several days.
Police said Kaplon was shot in the chest and killed with a military style assault weapon in Armstrong's garage.
At first the shooting was investigated as an accident. In the district attorney's complaint,
"It is further alleged that said defendant(s), David Andrew Armstrong personally and intentionally discharged a firearm, a rifle, which caused great bodily injury and death to Brian Kaplon."
According to his wife and mother-in-law, Kaplon didn't like to be around guns, saying he didn't even like touching them. Armstrong collected guns.
The family said Kaplon had gone to Armstrong's home because Armstrong gave haircuts in the garage to friends. Police said there was a St. Patrick's Day party.
Armstrong's attorney said that there was no murder, and that it was an accidental shooting between two men who had been drinking.
murder, los angeles news, john north
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic 55 min ago
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder 42 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 47 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors