Los Angeles News
Delivery driver carjacked near 101 on-ramp
SILVER LAKE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Three men believed responsible for an overnight crime spree were in custody Tuesday. And a woman who was carjacked while delivering diet meals is speaking out about a night of terror.
The incident happened in Silver Lake along the 101 Freeway.
Three suspects in custody are allegedly responsible for a local crime spree Monday night, including one other carjacking.
"Jessica," the carjacking victim, doesn't want to show her face or use her real name. She is still coming to terms with the terrifying ordeal she endured Monday night.
"It seemed fake. We were like, 'Is this real?' It didn't seem like it was really happening," said Jessica.
Jessica works for a company that delivers gourmet meals throughout Los Angeles. Monday night, she and her boyfriend were making deliveries in Silver Lake when they were ambushed near the southbound on-ramp of the 101 Freeway at Silver Lake Blvd.
"At first I just thought that they were crossing over," said Jessica. "I didn't think that they were going to come to the car. So when they came, I was shocked so it took us a while to really jump out the car."
Three armed men were hiding underneath the dark overpass. As Jessica and her boyfriend approached the on-ramp, the suspects surrounded the car, threatened them with handguns, then stole the car.
"I don't think we could have done anything to prevent this from happening," said Sandy Ornelas, manager of The Fresh Diet food delivery service.
Ornelas says The Fresh Diet has 14 drivers in Los Angeles and this has never happened before.
"I'm happy to see that she wants to come back to work tonight. We've said take a couple of nights off. But we do have a very dedicated team and drivers who really want to deliver and please our clients," said Ornelas.
Police at the LAPD Rampart Division say the three suspects crashed the car they stole from Jessica and her boyfriend. Then they carjacked another vehicle, a truck, near the LA Live area. They crashed that one as well.
Police finally caught up with those three suspects very early Tuesday morning as they were sleeping it off near a construction site in Echo Park.
The three suspects, young men aged 19 to 22, now face several felony charges and were behind bars Tuesday night.
robbery, arrest, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- TSA expands Pre-Check screening program in LA 2 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point 8 min ago
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients 34 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds