Los Angeles News
Delivery driver carjacked near 101 on-ramp
SILVER LAKE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Three men believed responsible for an overnight crime spree were in custody Tuesday. And a woman who was carjacked while delivering diet meals is speaking out about a night of terror.
The incident happened in Silver Lake along the 101 Freeway.
Three suspects in custody are allegedly responsible for a local crime spree Monday night, including one other carjacking.
"Jessica," the carjacking victim, doesn't want to show her face or use her real name. She is still coming to terms with the terrifying ordeal she endured Monday night.
"It seemed fake. We were like, 'Is this real?' It didn't seem like it was really happening," said Jessica.
Jessica works for a company that delivers gourmet meals throughout Los Angeles. Monday night, she and her boyfriend were making deliveries in Silver Lake when they were ambushed near the southbound on-ramp of the 101 Freeway at Silver Lake Blvd.
"At first I just thought that they were crossing over," said Jessica. "I didn't think that they were going to come to the car. So when they came, I was shocked so it took us a while to really jump out the car."
Three armed men were hiding underneath the dark overpass. As Jessica and her boyfriend approached the on-ramp, the suspects surrounded the car, threatened them with handguns, then stole the car.
"I don't think we could have done anything to prevent this from happening," said Sandy Ornelas, manager of The Fresh Diet food delivery service.
Ornelas says The Fresh Diet has 14 drivers in Los Angeles and this has never happened before.
"I'm happy to see that she wants to come back to work tonight. We've said take a couple of nights off. But we do have a very dedicated team and drivers who really want to deliver and please our clients," said Ornelas.
Police at the LAPD Rampart Division say the three suspects crashed the car they stole from Jessica and her boyfriend. Then they carjacked another vehicle, a truck, near the LA Live area. They crashed that one as well.
Police finally caught up with those three suspects very early Tuesday morning as they were sleeping it off near a construction site in Echo Park.
The three suspects, young men aged 19 to 22, now face several felony charges and were behind bars Tuesday night.
robbery, arrest, los angeles news, robert holguin
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works 17 min ago
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill
- Family, friends honor Hesperia soldier
38 min ago