Los Angeles News
6 large pot-growing operations busted in LA
NORTH HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A major crackdown on what investigators describe as illegal marijuana operations in Los Angeles County. Federal agents and police raided six locations and seized thousands of plants.
FBI, LAPD and Drug Enforcement Administration officials raided the warehouse located along the 16700 block of Schoenborn Street shortly after 11 a.m.
The raid was part of a wider investigation into illicit marijuana cultivation operations and associated crimes within Los Angeles County.
There were so many bags full of marijuana at the North Hills location that federal agents had to fill up several tractor-trailers to haul off the pot.
Early Wednesday morning the FBI, Los Angeles Police and the DEA raided what officials call a pot-growing warehouse in an industrial park on the 16700 block of Schoenborn St. in North Hills.
People who work near the warehouse say they knew drugs were inside for a while because they could smell it. They just had no idea there was so much of it.
"I saw like 20, 30 bags come out," said Reseda resident Daryhon Robinson. "They just kept coming out, and the smell, it just reeks. You can smell it from inside my building right there."
"We smelled it for a while now, for a few months," said Northridge resident John Ibarra. "They've had like four trucks coming in and out of this already."
Wednesday morning agents also raided what appeared to be a light-industrial building on the 8500 block of Canoga Ave. in Canoga Park. At that location agents bagged a huge amount of pot.
In all they targeted six locations throughout Los Angeles County. It was unclear if any arrests had been made during the raids.
While state and city laws recognize the legal use of marijuana as medicine, federal law bars its use for any purpose.
Outside of saying what agencies were involved in the massive pot bust, federal authorities did not issue further comment. They did not divulge the amount of marijuana seized.
marijuana growing, marijuana, lapd, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Report: Possible armed suspect in LA Times bldg 1 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat 13 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
38 min ago