Los Angeles News
Budget cuts force LA County beaches to limit restroom cleaning
PLAYA DEL REY, Calif. (KABC) -- Just a few weeks before the start of summer, restroom cleaning and other services are being reduced at some beaches in Los Angeles County due to budget cuts and the elimination of nearly 20 beach maintenance jobs.
Workers clean restrooms at beaches operated and managed by the county at least twice a day during the winter and four times a day during summer.
However, beginning May 1, the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors said cleaning the more than 50 restrooms at county-operated beaches will be reduced to once a day.
"We will be implementing a new restroom cleaning schedule from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. along 25 miles of L.A. County coastline," said Debbie Talbot of the Department of Beach and Harbors. "Our beaches range from Nicholas Canyon in Malibu down to White Point in the Rancho Palos Verdes area."
With some 50 to 70 million people visiting county-operated beaches a year, county officials said work crews will clean restrooms once a day during peak beach-going hours, around 1 p.m.
"I think it's a vital service they need to keep going because if you come to the beach you need to have restrooms picked up, people don't do it on their own," said Ventura County resident Kathy Bernstein.
Workers not only clean bathrooms at beaches, they also clear the bathrooms of graffiti.
"In some of them, it looks bad," said Ronald Lievano of South Gate. "It's good that they clean it."
Officials said a once-a-day cleaning will get the job done if beachgoers do their part to help keep restrooms clean.
budget, beach, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Ambulance crash: 3 injured in Signal Hill 42 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood 40 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role