Los Angeles News
Murder suspect caught after 2-hour search in Studio City
STUDIO CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Following an extensive search, Los Angeles police tracked down a murder suspect in Studio City on Friday.
Authorities located 20-year-old Luis Solano about 1:30 p.m. after a two-hour manhunt in the area of Ventura and Laurel Canyon boulevards.
Police say Salano is a known violent gang member and a suspect wanted in connection with a killing in Valley Glen in November.
Officers had spotted Salano just before 11:30 a.m. near a school, but he managed to get away.
Police immediately locked down schools in the area. Carpenter Avenue Elementary and the Country School were placed on lockdown, while Bridges Academy was placed on partial lockdown.
A wide search perimeter was set up in the area of Carpenter Avenue, just east of Laurel Canyon Boulevard, and after several hours of the massive manhunt with search dogs and more, police got their man.
"He was located in the area around an apartment building we were looking at," said Lt. Andy Neiman of the Los Angeles Police Department. "There was no use of force. He was taken into custody. We have confirmed that it's him."
No one was hurt during the search.
Authorities said Salano and another man were suspects in the shooting death of 26-year-old Pedro Martinez in the community of Valley Glen on Nov. 18.
Police have the other suspect in custody.
murder, studio city, school, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Fallbrook bus crash leaves 1 dead, 22 hurt 9 min ago
- Tour bus rolls over on 15 Freeway in Corona 10 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note 12 min ago
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- 14 hospitalized in Riverside County bus crash
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found 20 min ago
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal 5 min ago
- Willie Nelson, Daft Punk to perform at Grammys
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis 7 min ago